15 Slangs Popularised By Nigerian Musicians And Their Meanings

Naijafans

Naijafans

Administrator
Staff member
Local time
Today 10:46 AM
NaijaCash
The Nigerian music industry continues to be a significant source of common street slang used by both young and old people.

Nigerian musicians know how to spice up music, by infusing catchphrases or slang into a song. This often help gives the music a Nigerian touch.

Here are some of the most well-known slang phrases and catchphrases to come out of the Nigerian music industry and their meaning.

1. The slang “No Shaking, Nothing dey” was introduced by 2face Idibia. It expresses one’s state of being and promotes confidence. The song No Shaking was released in 2017.

2. “Alobam”, is a slang introduced by Phyno which means 'my brother'. The song is a track off Phyno’s No Guts No Glory Released in 2014.

3. “Woju O”, which means “Look Face” started trending when Kizz Daniel dropped his single, Woju which was released in 2016

4. “Tule” is a Yoruba word that means 'free me, release me, or leave me'. It was introduced by Davido in 2021 Ke Star Remix with Focalistic.

5. The slang “Ko Po Ke/ O Por Pa” simplified to mean Abundance, originated from a song by Rexxie, featuring Mohbad. The song was released in 2020.

6. “Ma Fo” is a slang used by Naira Marley. It is a Yoruba term that means “Don’t break”. It can also mean, don’t be intimidated or don’t be bothered, or don’t worry. Mafo was released in 2019.

7. “Jagaban” was introduced by Ycee which means someone with great influence and swag. The song was released in 2015.

8. “Ji Ma Sun” was introduced by Idowest in a song featuring Davido. It means Wake Up from your Sleep. The song was released in 2018.

9. “Goons Mi” was introduced by Olamide which means My Goons or My Guys. Goons Mi off Street OT album was released in 2014.

10. “Duro Soke” is a slang introduced by Olamide which means stay on top. Durosoke off Baddest Guy Ever Liveth Album was released in 2013.

11. “Watimagbo” is slang introduced by Davido in collaboration with Adekunle Gol. It means you should have heard. It was used in a song titled “High” released in 2022.

12. “Fem” was introduced by Davido. It means to keep quiet. It was released in 2020 in Better Time Album.

13. “Shoro Niyen” which was used by Olamide is used to question the meaningfulness of action, behaviour, or position. It was released in 2015 by the YBNL all stars.

14. “GBE Body E” came from Zlatan and Burna Boy’s music collaboration which means carry your body or move away. It came from Killin Dem which was released in 2019.

15. “E choke” which was introduced by Davido literarily means, “It chokes”. It is used as an exclamatory remark for something overwhelming or extremely impressive. The singer introduced the catchphrase in March 2021.